Tarrant, Callahan lift Tulane over SMU 78-67
- Villanova wins Big East title outright
- Gamecocks ban Martin 1 game for language
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach on court
- Cincy beats Memphis, stays tied atop AAC
- Coach K out of hospital, leads practice
Tarrant was 7-of-14 shooting and made 4 of 8 from 3-point range, while Callahan knocked down six treys in 12 attempts and hit 7 of 13 overall for the Green Wave (17-9, 5-6 Conference USA).
Tulane made 46.7 percent (14 of 30) from 3-point range, helping overcome a 31-22 disadvantage in rebounds.
SMU (13-13, 3-8) knocked down 56.3 percent (27 of 48) from the field, though it was just 2 of 6 from 3-point range. Every starter scored in double figures, led by Shawn Williams with 16 points. Nick Russell added 13, Jalen Jones and Ryan Manuel 12 and Cannen Cunningham 10.
The Mustangs pulled within 65-62 on Jones' layup with 3:29 left, but Tarrant responded with consecutive 3-pointers and Ben Cherry later added another in building the final cushion.
Updated February 16, 2013