Crew declines to retain GK William Hesmer
European Football Headlines
- Spain beat Italy in Euro Under-21 final
- Zaccheroni prepares to face Italy
- Pearce to lose Engand Under-21 role
- Balotelli confirms his worth in Brazil
- Spain find new striker in Soldado
- Ribery, Benzema trial adjourned
- Ferguson's 1st team sheet up for auction
- Bale wants trademark goal celebration
- Teams to be seeded in WCup playoffs
- Hearts set to go into administration
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) The Columbus Crew has retained 10 players from its roster while declining to pick up goalkeeper William Hesmer.
The Crew picked up the options of goalkeepers Andy Gruenebaum and Matt Lampson; defenders Eric Gehrig and Josh Williams, midfielders Bernardo Anor, Dilly Duka, Ethan Finlay and Kevan George; and forwards Justin Meram and Aaron Schoenfeld.
The club declined contract options on defenders Rich Balchan, Julius James and Sebastian Miranda; midfielders Chris Birchall and Tony Tchani; and forward Tommy Heinemann.
Hesmer was an instrumental cog in the Crew lineup for six seasons, leading the Crew to two Supporters' Shields, an Eastern Conference Championship and the 2008 MLS Cup.
Defenders Danny O'Rourke and Carlos Mendes and forward Emilio Renteria are out of contract but the club expects to extend them offers.
Updated November 28, 2012